Between the stimulous
And the response
You always have a choice.
Act.
Don't react.
I have lived most of my
Adult life
With these ideas in mind.
Or tried to.
Event, choice
Stimulous, response.
But this model,
Though wise,
Has forced me to ignore
A middle stage.
It is true, I can choose how to act.
But before I choose,
There is the spontaneous,
Gut-level, natural
Reaction.
Reactions can be inaccurate
Or out of preportion
Or out of control.
But I have forgotten this.
I have attempted to choose
With Vulcan-like logic,
Detached in a vacuum,
At times,
Forgetting that my reactions are,
At the very least,
Data for my logical mind to utilize,
Information available to me
To use
When I choose.
And worse,
I seem to have forgotten
That my two-word,
Event-choice model
Seems to imply that I must always choose
How
To keep dealing with
Current events,
With my current situation,
Instead of
If
I need to keep dealing
With my current situation,
Forgetting that sometimes my reactions
Are trying to tell me,
To scream at me,
That walking away from the stimulus,
Removing myself from a situation,
Is a response, too.
I don't have to stand still
Hoping that having a better attitude
Towards the thing that keeps crashing down on top of me
Will somehow make it better.
Sometimes things just keep on crashing
No matter how much I smile.
I can walk away.
I can turn and run away toward something new.
Moving on is a choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment